I was unable to invite someone into my classroom to teach my class, but I did find a video on United Streaming called “skills for healthy living: Dealing with disabilities” This is a good way to introduce diversity into a classroom. It even includes a section about relating to peers with disabilities.
My “Local” Center
The disability Resource Center
409 Progress Street
The dRC is one of 16 Centers for Independent Living in Virginia providing four core services:
• Independent Living Skills Training • Peer Counseling
• Information and Referral • Advocacy
Additional services include:
• Deaf and Hard of Hearing • Benefits Assistance
• TAPLoan program • Seminars
• Work Incentive assistance for Social Security beneficiaries who want to work • No Cost recycled durable medical equipment
• Children and Youth Services • Support Groups
• Community Action Specialists • Workshops
• Personal Assistance Service Facilitation • Nursing Home transition assistance
Free, confidential services are provided regardless of disability or age
5 Useful Websites
Blog on the topic of assistive technology, eLearning, mind mapping, project management, visual learning, collaborative tools, and educational technology
Website which reviews assistive technologies that are available for all types of learning disabilities. You can also purchase the technologies from this site.
Outlines the types of assistive technologies that are available from Microsoft. The site. provides demos and tutorials of the technologies.
This site provides many websites that provide helpful information for families and students affected with a disability.
“We are an informational site whose mission is to promote uniting the disabled with adapted computers through the use of assistive technology devices. Disability - articles, short stories, and link exchange; links to assistive technology computer furniture, software, and input/output devices; computer therapy; nursing home realities; message board; news; links; and resources”. Equality Technology